Welcome to the Cat Enright Stables Blog!

Cat Enright made her debut appearance in the mystery The Opium Equation
(September 2011, Cool Titles) by Lisa Wysocky. Here, Cat and her stable crew,
including Jon Gardner, Darcy Whitcomb, Agnes Temple, and Sally Blue (Do not
ask how a horse can blog. Sally is psychic. It just happens.) keep you informed
of their doings between their book adventures.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Holidays from Cat

It has been a whirlwind year for all of us here at Cat Enright Stables. A murder, a kidnapping, lots of horse shows, several new national and world championships, and a book called The Opium Equation was even written about us!

This is the only time of year I take for down time, but it’s not really all that down. My barn manager, Jon, always takes off the last two weeks of December and the first week of January. I have no idea where he goes or who (if anyone) he sees during this time. I asked him once but he just gave me that look that means “don’t go there” so I never pushed it. Someday, maybe, he’ll tell, not that it’s any of my business, but still, we work together the other 49 weeks of the year. His vacation plans shouldn’t be a a huge secret.

Long story short, without Jon I am the only one feeding, turning horses out, cleaning stalls, doctoring scrapes, ordering supplies, and everything else involved with horse care. But you know what? I love it. I love the solitude of not talking to anyone else. I love the closeness I feel with the horses being the only human in the barn, and I especially love my post-lunch naps.

My boyfriend and I aren’t to the “sharing family time during the holidays” stage yet, but I am sure we will see each other at some point.

Farm news: I can’t wait for our yearling filly, Gigi, to turn two. Maybe then she’ll grow up some! Our young juvenile delinquent neighbor, Bubba, has taken up the trumpet and my other neighbor, Carole (wife of that very hunky country music star) tells me they can hear his “practices” all the way over to their house. My wonderful beagle mix, Hank, has found he loves running in figure eights. Not sure what that is all about. And despite what my lovely and brainy student Darcy might tell you, I typed and posted this all by myself!

Happy Holidays to all.

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment